Saturday, October 18, 2008

‘I’ve never walked the ramp before’

If there’s one thing that’s been common across the two fashion weeks, it’s designers upping the celebrity quotient on their shows.


And now its Chitrangda Singh’s turn to strut her stuff at Anita Dongre’s show at WIFW today. DT caught up with her before the event to ask her how she’s feeling on the eve of the show. The actress admitted to feeling jittery, saying, “I’m very nervous because I’ve never walked the ramp before.”

So does she have any reservations about what she’ll wear? The actress insists that, “When it comes to fashion, you’ll only find me in something that I am confident about and can carry off well. You’ll never find me sporting a bikini publicly. I would be very shy doing that.”

But didn't she do a pretty daring photo shoot for a magazine recently? The actress disagrees, “The cover shot that I recently did wasn’t something that made me uncomfortable. The bare back shot was done really well. It was sensual yet very classy. It is a classic pose, which a lot of actresses have done in the past.”

Speaking of being uncomfortable in the spotlight, has she felt pressured by increased expectations after debuting in the much appreciated Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi? “Yes there has been pressure after Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi, because that movie raised the bar for all the actors in it. And I am very nervous about my future projects because it has been a while since I did a movie,” the actress confides.

So what kind of roles is she looking for? “As an actor, I’d love to go for varied roles. I’m not always looking for roles that only resemble Hazaaron..., but yes what that movie has given me is the ability to understand quality. I try and take up work that matches up to that quality,” she says.

But she’s dabbled both in ads and films. Does she have a preference? “While I have done some ads before I got my first movie, I still feel that acting is much better than modeling, for me. Modeling restricts you whereas acting lets you do anything and everything. It involves much more than just posing for a pretty picture.”

But isn’t she making a comeback of sorts, since she virtually disappeared after her debut? The actress disagrees, “My idea of taking a break after my first two movies was to take the time to assess myself and the projects that I was being offered. I think it was the right decision.”

How would she respond to the rumours that it was due to the objections of her husband, golfer Jyoti Randhawa, that she took the break? The actress is vehement in her denial, “Marriage had nothing to do with my taking a break from modelling. I was already married when I did my first movie,” she points out. But did they bother her at all? “Yes, initially, I had got bugged and it did worry me, but Jyoti was very supportive. It was then that I realised there was no point reacting to it,” she says.

So what about her future plans. Is she excited about her upcoming film? “Oh, I’m thrilled about Sorry Bhai. It’s going to hit theatres quite soon so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. It’s a comedy and I play the role of Aliya who is this very submissive person, but at the end proves to be the strongest of the lot. It’s a nice lighthearted movie and I hope people will enjoy it. I will also soon start shooting for Sudhir Mishra’s Aur Devdas.”

No comments: