Monday, June 30, 2008

Kunal Kohli impressed by Rani Mukherjee's daredevilry

Bollywood filmmaker Kunal Kohli , who has directed Rani Mukherjee for the third time in his latest film Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic , is impressed by her daredevilry in the film and says Rani is no less than Hrithik Roshan 's Krrish .

"Rani is a female Krrish. She was always excited about her stunts. She had to do a lot of things like cycling across rainbows, roller coastering in water etc. At times even I was scared when she had to cycle at 60 feet but she was always excited," Kunal says.

Kunal who reckons TPTM as his most difficult film says it is a blend of fantasy and reality.

"We all have pain and sorrow in our life. So somewhere we all need these magic. So this film tries to address these issues in a very simple way. Its about emotions and basic goodness of life," he says.

In all my films I have tried to capture as how different people react to different emotionally volatile situations and this film also deals with a different emotional situation," he adds.

A self-confessed film buff, Kunal says he is obsessed about Indian films. "I have always been obsessed about Indian films, I watch a movie every night before going to sleep. I don't know about world cinema and neither am I interested in them, he says.

Journalist-turned-director Kunal shrugged off all controversies regarding another film of the same title releasing on the same date, saying he has spoken to the director and there is no such controversy.

"There is no controversy. The titles of both the films are not the same and they are not releasing on the same date. I have met the director of the film in a get-together and there are no issues between us. I wish him best of luck for his film," he says.

Although Kunal reckons Delhi and Kashmir as his favourite locations and even shot TPTM in the capital says there are lot of hassle that one has to go through and unlike other countries there are no benefits.

"We should get some benefits while shooting in this states, but rather what we get is hassles. In other countries a lot of tax benefits, airlines and hotel fares are exempted but it is not the same in India, once these things are streamlined it will encourage our filmmakers to shoot in the capital which will enhance tourism," he says.

Kunal rues that Indian films are not marketed well and are not seen by the world audience. However, he is hopeful with the corporates joining the bandwagon things are going to look good in the future.

"Indian films are watched by Indians who are settled abroad rather than world audience. One reason is that these films are not marketed well. China has a huge market, we also have the potential to beat them, we should take our filmmakers like Bimal Roy, Guru Dutt to the world outside. Thankfully a lot of corporates like Reliance are coming up and I hope it will help to take Indian cinema to the world audience in the real sense," he says.

When asked about the burgeoning number of reality shows plaguing the small screen, Kunal says these are good way of earning some pocket money.

"An actor can earn doing so many films in a year but for people like us I believe these reality shows are a good means of earning some pocket money," he quips.

Kunal who turned producer with this film says he would be financing all his films from now and will also encourage other independent filmmakers.

"I have co-produced the film with Yash Raj Production. I always wanted to produce my films because it is like owning your own film. I hope in the future I will produce my films. I have also decided to finance few films of my assistant producer and encourage them. I never had a godfather in the industry so I would like to extent my hand to all those who are in a similar situation," he says.

No comments: