Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pakistanis love Indian TV shows

You thought tear-jerking saas-bahu soaps on Indian telly had no takers?

Think again. If Karachi rampscorcher and now actor Yasir Shah has to be believed, then urban Pakistanis are completely bowled over by Indian soaps.

The dashing model, who made his small screen debut in India in a Balaji soap Khwaish, had no problems about being part of a woman-oriented show. When you have an Ekta Kapoor show as a launchpad, says Yasir, life becomes “easier”. “The two things most urban Pakistanis simply adore are Indian TV shows and Shah Rukh Khan,” adds the dashing actor.

A month after the eight-month old show wrapped up, Yasir didn’t lose heart. After a brief holiday in Pakistan, he’s back doing what he insists is now a passion, “acting”. Yasir returns in an important role in Jiya Jale (9X). Unlike his last telly outing, where he played the spoilt rich brat, in this new show, Yasir essays the role of a “lawyer with a mission”. The one common streak in the two shows (Khwaish and Jiya Jale), Yasir plays the arrogant and confident young man’s role to the hilt. By his own admission, the real Yasir is “emotional, modest and down-to-earth”.

So, does that mean Yasir has deserted mentor Ekta for a newer production house? The actor is quick to retort: “I am open to working with every production house. Although, I had no contract with Ekta’s company, I have taken her consent before taking on my new assignment. In fact, I am thankful to her for encouraging and giving a Pakistani actor like me the opportunity and platform to showcase my talent.”

Yasir also confesses that movies are not on his platter right now. “I am very satisfied with my work and I love it,” adding that given a film like his all-time favourite Rang De Basanti to do, he just might “think” about it.

What has it been like working in India? How receptive is the entertainment industry? “Indian entertainment industry is the second largest in the world. So the opportunites are much better. When it comes to professionalism, Indians score very high.

So, coming back to work here is always a pleasure,” he says. A catwalker who’s done most of the top fashion shows in Pakistan, Yasir’s foray in glambiz was expected. “Back home in Pakistan, I am a very successful and busy model. When Ekta was looking at some top names for her show, a PR company suggested my name. The rest as they say, is history,” he grins.

Have Indians been helpful? “I have found most Indians I have interacted with as very, very warm. I want to be part of the peace process in India. I want India and Pakistan to resolve all differences and share a warmer bond. I think Pakistanis and Indians are one people divided by geographical boundary. We connect so well with each other,” points out Yasir on an emotional note.
Given that he flaunts fab abs and has good looks to die for, are there women in his life? “I did like some one but she was already committed to some one else. The other girl I am working with now is too young for me,” he admits.

That must be great news for those of you who’ve been charmed by this new small screen posterboy!

No comments: